THE HONOURABLE FEDERAL COMMISSIONER’S MESSAGE
1. I am delighted to present a brief report of Kaduna State Office of the Public Complaints Commission. The report highlights the major activities in Kaduna State Office of the Commission.
2. The Ombudsman, being the Public advocate is charged with representing the interest of the Public by investigating and addressing complaints of maladministration/administrative injustice or a violation of rights against Federal, State, Local Governments, Public Corporations and Private Organisations registered under CAMA. In line with the above; Kaduna State Office has consciously discharge its mandate successfully.
3. It was tremendous and forward looking following remarkable achievements in the operation of the Commission in Kaduna State.
4. In the year 2018, National Assembly appointed new Honourable Commissioners; after preceding Commissioners had duly exhausted their tenure. Consequently, Honourable Musa Tugga Karam (fwc) was appointed as the new Honourable Commissioner in charge of Kaduna State Office. The Honourable Federal Commissioner is veteran Civil Servant who rose to the climax of the federal Civil Service technocrat, Industrialist, Philanthropist and a disciplinarian. This well-deserved appointment has since changed the visage of the Commission to a more prolific organisation. As a result of his innovations, Kaduna State Office is regaining its glory being the cradle of Ombudsman Institution in Nigeria and defender of the downtrodden in Kaduna State.
5. The routine (weekly) Mail Opening exercise has been progressively modernised to cautiously scrutinised cases for timely resolution. It has included Zonal/Area officers who, hitherto were not carried along and has yielded tremendous results as more and more cases are being recorded from local government areas.
6. The Commission also embarked on vigorous mass media campaign for public enlightenment on mandate of the Commission, social media platform was also launched to harmonise the exertion of the Staff both within and outside the State Office. It started with the Nation-wide media enlightenment by the Honourable Commissioner. This evolution has invariably reflected on the number of complaint received from General Public as we realised huge number of complaints from all the twenty-three (23) Local Governments in the State. The Honourable Commissioner along with some management staff paid working visits to the Chief Judge of the State, Police Commissioner and other related organisations with the State in order to tighten working relationship.
7. The year 2018 was not only eventful but also successful as far as receiving and redressing of complaints by the Kaduna State Office, is concerned. The successes recorded in the year was due to the dedication and passion for the job exhibited by the officers who ensured that they put smiles on the faces of the aggrieved citizens that came to the Commission to seek redress, as well as the regular promotion, conversion, regularization and advancement of staff which encourages hard work in general.
8. There is astronomical growth in the number of complaints received and closed in the Commission due to the increased public awareness in diverse ways concerning the existence, effective and efficient service rendered by the Ombudsman Institution in Kaduna State.
9. We, however have faith that the Public Complaints Commission, will Nationwide move ahead to deliver on our mandate in the years to come. In order to achieve this, there would be:
I. Continuous vigorous sensitization, in this direction, our programme on hitting the social media and radios in the state with our English and Hausa messages (we have already started this) to sensitize the People/Public, would be persuade relentlessly.
II. We shall embark on involving the Local Governments through their information dissemination systems and through the effective use of our Zonal/Field Officers to take the message to the door steps of communities.
III. With hopeful improved Budget we shall embark on more Bill Boards, Sign Boards within the State Capital and in all our Local Government Zonal/Area Offices.
IV. We intend to Collaborate with the State Ministry of Justice; especially their Alternative dispute resolution Divisions, recently created! We discussed this with the Chief Judge of the State and agreed that it was desirable and necessary.
V. We shall procure motor cycles and print Jackets (we have already started this). To facilitate the work of investigators and to empower them for field Operations/Investigations.
VI. We shall ensure that the Certificate Of Occupancy of the State Public Complaints Commission Headquarters (NO 9B YAKUBU GOWON WAY ADJACENT SEMA, KADUNA) is secured from the State Government; Preparatory to and in readiness to Set-the stage for renovations and re-construction of the old structures into a monument and Library to Celebrate and keep the History of the birth place of the Public Complaints Commission in Nigeria. Similarly, the construction of a North-west Hall with Syndicate rooms and all paraphernalia, will not only be befitting, but would become a platform for the Public Complaints Commission to generate revenue through rentals etc. details are being worked out already for the kind consideration of the Distinguished Chief Commissioner.
VII. Dovetailing from above
VIII the Kaduna Public Complaints Commission office has proposed for the Establishment of a National Ombudsman Institute in Kaduna-to celebrate the History of the Ombudsman Concept in Nigeria. The monument and Library already proposed will be natural Complimentary Components of this noble idea-Which deserves a place in the Public Complaints Commission National Strategic plan. There is more than enough land/space for all these at the heart of the Kaduna State Government Secretariat.
10. Finally we salute the fatherly attention and outstanding leadership of our Federal Distinguished Chief Commissioner, has continually provided the timely released of State Allocation for the office is a clear show of commitment towards the revitalization of the commission to this end, we at the State from time to time provide adequate transport, recharge cards for officers, telephone conversations with complainant and respondents on monthly basis, which is the first in the history of the state office. The office was also provided with portable pipe borne water supply within, which has improved the hygiene and good environment for the staff. These have enormously propelled the staff to put up their best to keep the Public Complaints Commission Kaduna State’s flag flying higher.
Kaduna State Office:
No 9b Yakubu Gowon Way Adjacent Sema,
Phone number: 08066702737
Jama’a Local Government Area
Makarfi Local Government Area
Lere Local Government Area
Zaria Local Government Area
Kaduna North Local Government Area
Kaduna South Local Government Area
Chikun Local Government Area