Frequently Asked Questions

P.C.C. stands for Public Complaints Commission and was established to investigate Complaints against the Federal, State and Local governments, Corporate Organizations and their officials/agencies on matters that bother on administrative injustice and to resolve such matters.
Generally speaking, our work as spelt out in Section 5 (2a-e) and (3a-e) of the Public Complaints Act include: Receiving complaints from the public and investigating the complaints bothering on administrative injustice against MDA’s and companies registered under the companies and allied matters Act. Initiating complaints to redress any social injustice observed anywhere in Nigeria from the aforementioned bodies, To make recommendations to the appropriate authority for actions.
You can complain about :
  • a Department or Ministry of the Federal or State Government
  • any Local Government Authority in the federation
  • Any Statutory corporation or public institution set up by any government in Nigeria
  • any company incorporated by any government or private individual in Nigeria
  • any officer or servant of any of the aforementioned bodies.

You can complain to us on wide range of issues such as:

  • Non payment of pension and gratuity benefits
  • Non payment of compensation(s)
  • Wrongful termination of appointment
  • Difficulty in getting insurance companies to pay claims
  • Non payment of goods bought and /or service rendered
  • Non payment of salary
  • Non payment of contract executed
  • Non payment/delay in payment of monthly pension
  • Unjust disengagement from service
  • Excessive/wrongful deductions by banks
  • Maladministration from both public and private organizations
  • Delay in the release of examination results
  • Denial of due promotion
  • Wrong computation of retirement benefits
  • Double taxation
  • Any administrative action/ Decision leading to or that results in the commitment of any act of injustice against any citizen of Nigeria or any other person resident in Nigeria.
We cannot investigate any matter a. That is pending before the National Assembly,the National Council of state or the Federal Executive Council b. That is pending before any court of law in Nigeria c.  Relating to anything done or purported to be done in respect of any member of the Armed forces in Nigeria or the Nigeria Police under the Nigerian Army Act, the Navy Act, the Air force Act, or the Police Act as the case may be. In which the complainant has,not in the opinion of the commissioner,exhausted all administrative procedures. In which the complainant has no personal interests(anonymous petitions) Can the Commission investigate matters that have to do with members of police force or military personnel’s? Yes, if only the matter involve members of the public against any personnel’s or member of the police force in such matters that has to do with abuse of power, illegal detention e.t.c. But if it’s an internal matter within the police force or military, we are excluded to look into such matters because the police, Army, Navy, Air force Acts it’s there to duly take care of that.
We will treat you in a respectful and professional manner. We will provide an independent and impartial assessment of your complaint, and advice about the options available. We aim to resolve most complaints informally. When we investigate it is confidential, free and prompt, using procedures that are fair to everyone concerned. We will provide clear explanations about what we can and cannot do and for any decision we make. We will inform you on the progress of your complaint. Our guarantee of service, vision, mission, purposes and values sets out our standards of service.
Complaints are lodged in writing and signed by the complainant himself before it is submitted to the commission in duplicate. However,complaints may also be sent by post, email, our online complaints form and on our Facebook and Twitter accounts. What information do I need to provide? We need all the relevant information from you that would enable us understand your complaint and help us decide if we need to take any action. In general we need: a. your contact details; b. an explanation of your complaint and your prayers; c. copies of all relevant correspondence between you and the respondent.

Once a complaint is received, it is registered and an acknowledgement letter is sent to the complainant . Soon after,investigation processes are set in motion. If the complaint is such that can be better handled by another authority,it is directed appropriately. If however,the complaints falls within the jurisdiction of the commission ,the organization complained against is given to comment on the matter. If within 30 days a comment is not forthcoming from the organization,follow up action is taken. In many cases,corrective actions or measures are taken at this stage by the offending organization and so such complaint is closed. When however, there is conflict, further investigation methods are applied such as visiting the organization, examining records, inviting top officials of the organization to bring to PCC relevant documents for examination.

It is after the examination of the documents or evidences of both parties that a full report is made. At the conclusion of the investigation, the complainant is informed of its outcome and case closed.

The law is not friendly with anyone who contravenes the provisions of the PCC Act. For Instance if a person who is required to furnish the Commission with information fails to do so, or makes a false statement either knowingly or carelessly,he shall on conviction be fined or imprisoned or both.

If a person who willfully obstructs, interferes, assaults or resists any commissioner or officer of the commission in the execution of his duty or aids, invites, induces or abets any other person to obstruct, interfere with, assault or resist any commissioner of officer such person shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction be liable to a fine or imprisonment or both. Again, any person who lodges a false complaint whether or not in writing shall on conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for one year without option of a fine.

It is illegal to take action against someone for making a complaint to the PCC. If you believe you have been victimised for making a complaint, tell us. We take such allegations very seriously.
Nobody will hear about your complaints once it is lodged with the PCC except the commissioner,the investigator and of course,the organization complained against. Indeed,the law clearly indicates that all commissioners and all staff of the PCC shall maintain secrecy in respect of matters so designated by a reason of source or content.
Complaining to the Public Complaints Commission is free.
We need all the relevant information from you that would enable us understand your complaint and help us decide if we need to take any action. In general we need:
  • your contact details;
  • an explanation of your complaint and your prayers;
  • copies of all relevant correspondence between you and the respondent.